Social media management is the process of managing your online presence on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter by creating, publishing, and analyzing content you post. Managing social media also includes engaging and interacting with social media users. You can use tools, services, and social media managers to oversee your social media management.
Social media management offers several benefits, including:
- Cost: No matter your marketing budget, social media is a cost-effective initiative. It’s free to join social media networks, post content, respond to user comments, and more. Even social media advertising offers a profitable channel for reaching your audience and building an online following.
- Reach: Social media networks, from Facebook to LinkedIn, can connect you with users across the world. You can also use social media platforms, like Pinterest, to reach niche audiences. Traditional marketing and advertising can’t match the reach — or price — or social. That’s why social media management is a must for businesses.
- Users: Incorporating social media into your marketing strategy allows you to align your marketing initiatives with user behavior. For example, 74% of people now use social media when making purchase decisions. Not to mention, 80% of people get advice about purchases through social media.
- Performance: Marketers and business owners alike agree on the performance of social media marketing and advertising. Via social, companies can build their brand and even generate leads and sales. Almost 45% of business-to-business (B2B) marketers, for instance, have earned a client through Facebook.
With social media’s multiple advantages, it’s worth considering for your marketing strategy.
Here are some of the most common platforms for social media management:
With nearly two billion daily users, Facebook is a massive social media network. That’s why agencies that offer social media management services will not only specialize in Facebook but also recommend it due to its audience variety.
Learn more about Facebook for social media marketing:
- Demographics: Facebook offers access to several different demographics, from seniors and youth to men and women. Plus, more than 50% of adults in the U.S. use Facebook multiple times a day, which lets you connect with varying segments of your target audience.
- Uses: From a social media management perspective, Facebook is useful for building relationships with existing and future customers. It can also help build brand loyalty, which can encourage future purchases.
- Perks: A massive perk about Facebook is that it features a wide variety of ads and content formats, from photos to videos to text. Even better, for more than 40% of business-to-business (B2B) marketers, it’s led to new clients.
No matter your industry or goals, expect to use Facebook in your social media strategy.
With 330 million monthly users, Twitter doesn’t offer the same reach as Facebook. It does, however, provide your business access to a group of users that engage with brands daily. Depending on your target audience, that’s an advantage.
Learn more about Twitter for social media marketing:
- Demographics: Less than 25% of U.S. adults use Twitter, but the social media platform provides competitive access to users between the ages of 18 to 29 — more than 40% of Twitter users are from this age group. They’re also more likely to be active on the platform multiple times a day.
- Uses: Unlike Facebook, Twitter focuses more on news. It also emphasizes two-way conversations between users, whether they’re a brand or consumer. If you’re looking to engage with your target audience, Twitter is a good option.
- Perks: One advantage of Twitter is its users — they’re active and happy to engage with other users. Twitter also features a specific audience, which is helpful if people between the ages of 18 to 29 are in your target market.
Twitter isn’t for every company, but it does offer value to those in certain sectors.
With around one billion monthly users, Instagram is becoming a new standard for social media management services. Its focus on images, as well as videos, encourages companies to come up with creative ways to capture and engage their audiences.
Learn more about Instagram for social media marketing:
- Demographics: Instagram is a prime platform for connecting with users between the ages of 18 to 29, as well as 30 to 49. Over 70% of Americans between 18 to 29 use Instagram — for users between 30 to 49, the number is nearly 50%.
- Uses: Like Facebook, Instagram is useful for establishing a relationship with consumers, as well as engaging them. Depending on your industry, you can also use Instagram to generate new leads. That’s why retail, entertainment, and beauty businesses often use the platform.
- Perks: A benefit of Instagram is that users love to use the platform. That’s why nearly 60% check in multiple times a day, which increases the chances that users will not only see your posts but also interact with them.
For certain markets, Instagram is a must-have platform in your social media strategy.
As the biggest professional social network in the world, LinkedIn offers access to more than 774 million users. That’s why it’s an ideal platform for businesses looking to recruit candidates, as well as establish themselves as an industry leader.
Learn more about LinkedIn for social media marketing:
- Demographics: LinkedIn is a popular platform among college graduates — more than half use the network. Even better, 90% of LinkedIn users are also on Facebook, which is helpful if your strategy focuses on both platforms.
- Uses: Like Twitter, LinkedIn is useful for sharing news-related materials, such as company announcements or industry-specific news. It can also assist in developing relationships with other companies, plus building your reputation via content marketing.
- Perks: LinkedIn offers a few benefits for businesses, especially B2B operations. For B2B leads from social media, 80% come from LinkedIn. That’s why more than 60% of marketers find it’s the most effective platform for their business.
Depending on your goals, market, and operations, LinkedIn could offer several advantages.
With more than two billion users, YouTube offers access to more than 80% of adults in the U.S. In response, businesses are doing more with their YouTube accounts, from creating how-to videos to showcasing behind-the-scenes material.
Learn more about YouTube for social media marketing:
- Demographics: Like Facebook, YouTube features a wide range of users, from 18 to 65 and older. Even 49% of people 65 and older watch YouTube, while almost 83% of 50-to-64-year-olds visit the platform.
- Uses: With YouTube, your company can provide users with informational content. A few examples include how-to videos on your products, as well as explainer videos related to your industry or services. These can increase user brand awareness, as well as lead to conversions.
- Perks: A notable benefit of YouTube is that it converts more than any other social media platform — even Facebook. That can lead to big gains for your company, especially if you’re offering a high-priced product.
While more time-intensive than other social media outlets, YouTube is worth the investment.
Pinterest has more than 450 million monthly active users, providing companies with a strong visual focus, such as cabinet manufacturers, clothing stores, and flower shops, the chance to connect with people in their target audience.
Learn more about Pinterest for social media marketing:
- Demographics: This social media platform features a strong female audience, with more than 40% of women — and only 16% of men — using Pinterest. For the age groups from 18 to 64, between thirty and 40% of U.S. adults use the platform, while usage for those 65 and older is 18%.
- Uses: Pinterest is excellent for showcasing your product in a non-promotional way. For example, you can highlight the uses and features of your goods. You can even connect with influencers to promote your products further.
- Perks: One perk of Pinterest is that users rely on it to plan for future purchases, with one study discovering that more than 85% of millennials use it for that purpose. As a result, you’re connecting with consumers already planning to buy.
Depending on your audience, Pinterest is an asset to your social media management services.
While agencies will vary in the platforms they specialize in, WebFX focuses on several social media platforms. Our social media management services are available for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Pinterest.